Donate Now    Emergencies

History

1890
1904
1906
1910
1915
1927
1930
1941
1947
1950
1951
1956
1959
1964
1967
1971
1973
1980
1989
1993
1997
1998
2004
2008
2011
2014
2016
2018
2019

1890

The Salvation Army created a rescue home for women and children on Ross Avenue.

1904

The rescue home was incorporated under the name The Salvation Army Grace General Hospital. It was the first Salvation Army Hospital incorporated in Canada.

1906

A new building erected on the corner of Preston Avenue and Arlington Street, including a School of Nursing.

1910

New addition to the Arlington Street Hospital completed.

1915

Winnipeg was established as the headquarters for the administration of the Salvation Army in Western Canada.

1927

New wing added, with modern equipment and features, transforming the facility from a maternity hospital to a general hospital.

1930

In spite of the Great Depression, a laboratory was created and the hospital received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons.

1941

New School of Nursing building opens.

1947

New surgical wing opens.

First chaplain and public health nurse placed on staff.

1950

The great Red River flood hits the city. Most patients evacuated, medical and hospital services under military control.

1951

Improvements were made to the grounds and interior of hospital.

1956

Canada’s first candy-stripers were introduced.

1959

New five-story obstetrical wing opens.

1964

Construction of new 250-bed hospital begins on current St. James site. A fire in December 1964 slows construction.

1967

New hospital at 300 Booth Drive officially opens.

1971

Old Grace Hospital on Arlington Street purchased by Manitoba Government.

1973

Psychiatric wing built.

1980

Computerized Medical Records Index and Admission Discharge System implemented. An extended treatment unit opens for long-term mental health patients.

1989

Obstetrical clinic opens.

1993

Chapel and main lobby renovated.

1997

Obstetrics department closes.

1998

Grace Hospital School of Nursing program closes. The building is now the home of a children’s daycare, speech and language services, offices and meeting rooms.

2004

School of Nursing building renamed the Dorothy Wood Building in honour of an instructor with 40 years of service to the school.

Grace Hospice opens to provide home-like care to people in the last three months of life.

2008

Transition of ownership between Salvation Army and WRHA.

2011

Grace Hospital Tower Upgrade Project Complete.

Construction begins on Access St. James Inc.

2014

Access Winnipeg West Opens.

2016

Edward & Marjorie Danylchuk MRI Building Opens.

2018

Edward & Marjorie Danylchuk Centre (housing the 35,000 square foot Emergency Department) opens.

2019

  • 40-bed Orthopedic Trauma Surgery Program relocates from Seven Oaks General Hospital to 4 North at Grace Hospital.
  • Adult Medical Clinic relocates from Dorothy Wood Building to the front of Grace Hospital in the old Emergency Department.
  • Sliced cheese added to Staff Appreciation BBQ